Landskroner Emigration to the American Midwest
by Edward G. Langer
The link above is an extensive
biographical and historical work about the many German speaking people who
migrated from the troubled land of Bohemia (currently the Czech Republic) to
the fertile lands of Wisconsin in the 1850s. The Blaska family's great
grandfather, Johann Blaschka, is mentioned. Ms. Burdette Blaska has
contributed some of her historical documents and biographical work for Mr.
This link is to a page that is a part of
www.dodgejeffgen.com website that describes a
wonderful piece of Blaska heritage, The Island Church. Built in
1863 and closed in 1891, this Catholic church was among the first that
served the German Bohemian community that thrived around Waterloo, WI.
After laying shuttered but preserved for 85 years,
David Blaska & Lisa Sieczkowski were married in the church. The
Island Church Foundation was formed in the the 1980's to further restore
and preserve the old log structure, cemetery and grounds.
See the NEW St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church, the "Island Church"